Intermittent Fasting: What It Is And How It Helps You Lose Weight
But how exactly does it work? We decided to go deeper into the topic and to share what we discovered with you. INTERMITTENT FASTING: WHAT IT IS AND HOW IT HELPS YOU LOSE WEIGHT
Keep reading! But how exactly does it work? We decided to go deeper into the topic and share what we discovered with you. Keep reading!
WHAT IS INTERMITTENT FASTING?
As the name suggests, intermittent fasting is a nutritional approach that alternates between periods of eating and periods of fasting.
It is therefore not a real diet, but a food program that tells you more than what to tell you when to eat.
There are several intermittent fasting methods and the most popular are:
Scheme 16/8: also known as the lean gains method. This scheme divides the day into two parts: 8 hours of eating and 16 hours of fasting.
It can be considered as an extension of the fast that is done automatically when you sleep, skipping breakfast, and having your first meal at noon and then eating until 8.00 in the evening.
On alternate days (5: 2): the idea of this model is that for two days a week the calorie intake is reduced to a maximum of 500/600 calories. The days do not have to be consecutive and on the other days, you can eat whatever you want.
Eat Stop Eat: according to this model, you eat every other day, once or twice a week.
In all types of models, you can drink low-calorie drinks, such as coffee and tea without sugar.
WHAT In all types of models, you can drink low-calorie drinks, such as coffee and tea without sugar.
INTERMITTENT FASTING -CHANGES ARE THERE IN THE BODY?
Intermittent fasting goes beyond calorie restriction. The hormonal balance also changes, so that the body learns to make good use of the fat reserves.
Here are what important changes happen:
- It improves insulin sensitivity, especially in combination with exercise. This point is very important for people who are trying to lose weight because, if they have low insulin levels, it is easier to burn fat. Studies have shown that being overweight can interfere with insulin’s ability to reduce blood sugar levels and as a consequence it is released in greater quantities, further promoting the accumulation of fat.
- Growth hormone (GH) secretion increases, accelerating protein synthesis so as to make fats available as an energy resource. Which means they burn fat and build muscle faster. In the world of bodybuilding, this hormone is taken in large quantities as a doping agent.
- In addition, according to some studies, fasting activates autophagy, which removes damaged cells, contributes to cell renewal, and generally supports regenerative processes.
DOES THE INTERMITTENT FASTING WEIGHT LOSE FAST?
YES! It’s truth the interrmittent fasting weight lose technique work fast while losing weight.
By skipping meals, you create a calorie deficit and therefore lose weight. Obviously, as long as you do not compensate for fasting periods with foods high in sugar or fat, this type of diet does not necessarily say what you can and what you cannot eat.
Some studies have shown that intermittent fasting, if done correctly, also helps prevent type 2 diabetes. In addition, the body learns to process the food consumed more efficiently in this time frame.
A study for intermittent fasting also showed that a combination of strength training and the 16/8 method allows you to reduce the percentage of body fat greater than that which is eliminated only with training. (1) However, there were no muscle growth indices in the subjects included in the study.
Note: This type of diet is not particularly suitable for people suffering from diabetes or high blood pressure and for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Before practicing this type of diet, it is best to consult a doctor.
Intermittent Fasting and Exercise: How They Combined
while training and intermittent fasting, it is good to keep some things in mind. If the goal is to lose weight, it is important to reduce calories moderately to lose 0.5-1% of body fat.
The ideal is to include strength training sessions in the routine and take in many proteins (25% more for the total caloric intake, to preserve lean muscle mass).
It would also be better to plan your workouts before the most abundant meal of the day. For those who want to combine intense workouts and fasting, it is best to consult a doctor.
WHO IS INTERMITTENT FASTING FOR?
If you are in good health-conscious, i.e. there is no need to try intermittent fasting. However, some people should pay attention to this type of diet and consult a doctor before starting.
People suffering from diabetes or other metabolic disorders, eating disorders, cardiovascular diseases, and cancer should avoid intermittent fasting, as well as older people, children, and pregnant women.
WHAT IMPACT DOES INTERMITTENT FASTING HAVE ON YOUR SOCIAL LIFE?
Intermittent Fasting can help you lose weight but if you are a person with an active social life, you need to take this into account so start this diet.
Imagine that some friends invite you to a Sunday birthday brunch. A delicious buffet with muesli, scrambled eggs, vegetables, salmon, do all your friends eat and do you? You are there drinking the water because it is 10 and you can eat your first meal only at 12. In addition, dinner is scheduled for 7 in the evening.
In general, interval Intermittent Fasting does not leave much room for flexibility and spontaneity.
If the social aspect is important to you, it is better to follow a so-called Flexitarian diet (also known as a flexible diet or IIFYM), which allows you to eat anything, as long as you respect the parameters of the established macro-nutrients.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WHEN YOU HAVE A HUNGER ATTACK?
Many people who follow this type of diet complain of hunger attacks and a sense of fatigue, which can easily occur when skipping meals. Some say, however, that once the critical phase has passed (about 2 days), hunger disappears.
In times when you feel a sense of hunger too strong, you can drink green tea or black coffee to be able to resist until the next meal.
INTERMITTENT FASTING: 8 TIPS TO START WEIGHT LOSE
If you are a beginner and you trying to weight lose the intermittent fasting weight loss technique is the best and easy that help you lose your body weight, consider the following things:
- Do not overdo the portions when you can eat.
- Make sure your diet is healthy and balanced. Eat foods high in fiber to satiate you (fruit, vegetables, legumes), high-quality proteins (fish, soy, eggs, legumes) and fats (vegetable oils, nuts, oilseeds, avocados).
- Drink lots of water or unsweetened herbal teas. Try using this calculator to understand how much you need to drink per day.
- It may take some time for your body to get used to this routine. You have to be patient. If you have hunger attacks, try drinking a cup of unsweetened coffee or tea.
- Do strength training regularly and eat protein to avoid losing muscle mass.
- bIt doesn’t matter when you train, the most hearty meal of the day should be after training.
- A lack of sleep could cause weight gain. Try to get enough sleep and rest.
- Interval fasting is not for everyone. Before starting it is always best to consult a doctor.
Intermittent fasting is not for everyone, but it is a good method of reducing body fat. However, you must keep your diet under control and avoid hamburgers, pizzas, and French fries. The goal remains to try to eat healthily and follow a balanced diet. To understand which diet is right for you, take a look at the diets summary in this guide.