This product have many advantages and disadvantages of margarine. It become one of the products most commonly used in many homes and for all kinds of meals. Because it is cheaper than butter and has many similarities with it, it is easy to opt for it and even confuse it with the latter product. However, and despite the fact that for many it is the perfect companion to many foods, it is convenient that you find out why this should not really be an option for you, especially if you are trying to lose weight.
Also read: List of Keto Diet Foods
Nutritional Properties of Margarine
Margarine contains omega 6, omega 3 and is rich in vitamin D. It has a large amount of vitamin K (for every 100 g of this food they contain 93 ug of this vitamin). Provides iron, protein, calcium, potassium, iodine, zinc, magnesium and phosphorus.
Its caloric intake is 722 kcal. of calories per 100 grams. It has 115 mg. of cholesterol and 80 g of fat.
Benefits of Margarine
There are many benefits of margarine if you add it into your diet.
- It maintains bone health and is a great source of antioxidants.
- Prevents eye diseases thanks to vitamin A.
- Strengthens the immune system and protects us from diseases such as cancer.
- Maintains the good condition of the skin and mucous membranes.
- Helps strengthen skin and bones.
- It is a beneficial food for blood circulation.
- It has antioxidant properties, which is why it fights aging and helps in the prevention of degenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s.
- Its vitamin K content helps the blood to clot properly.
A recent studies concluded that less saturated fat in diet is linked to a 17% reduced risk of heart disease when it’s replaced with polyunsaturated fat. Check Sources
Disadvantages of Margarine
- Margarine contains a high level of calories and fat.
- This food is not recommended if you want to lose weight or if you want to maintain your weight since its caloric intake is quite high.
- Contains many preservatives and additives.
- Although there are fewer and fewer brands that contain a high level of trans fat, the truth is that margarine contains a lot of fat even if it is vegetable.
- Increases cholesterol and the possibility of cardiovascular disease.
Presence of Trans Fats
Since we are talking about an industrial food, the percentage of trans fats is something that can always be found in its different presentations and varies in percentages from 15% to 30%. It should be noted that this can become a reason for multiple heart problems.
It Induces Suffering from Various Diseases
Diabetes, prostate cancer and even complications that have to do with fertility in women are just some of the conditions to which excess margarines can lead.
It Affects the Health of the Heart
This type of food is of great risk for the cardiovascular system. It can clog arteries and raise blood pressure dangerously; all due to its high concentrations of bad fats. check source
Also Read: Is Pumpkin Seeds Good for Men?
Your levels of this element could skyrocket if you don’t measure yourself with the use of margarine. Sooner or later, this also leads to unfortunate consequences such as heart attacks.
It is best to look for natural alternatives that we have already mentioned above, such as peanut butter for example. Today, you can even find many plant substitutes, which will work in your favor by taking care of your health and weight.
5 Reasons why You Should not Eat Margarine
Margarine is cheaper than butter, and the truth is that there is a good reason why: it is flooded with the unhealthy trans fats that cause a variety of conditions and diseases. If you are a faithful consumer, today we give you some reasons not to consume margarine . Hydrogenation increases the oil’s saturated fat content, but unhealthy trans fats are formed as a side product. Check source
1- Related to serious diseases
Margarine is related to the risk of suffering a heart attack, diabetes and even cancer, all due to its high content of trans fat. So much so that, according to researchers at Harvard University in the United States, consuming half a teaspoon of additional margarine (more than a teaspoon) increases the possibility of suffering a heart attack by 50%.
There are data that throw alarming figures, it seems that people who eat a Western diet ingest more than twice the recommended trans fats per day.
2- Margarine and Trans Fats in Numbers
So you have an idea…
Margarine can be up to 15% trans fat
Butter contains 3% trans fat
Industrial baked goods margarine can be up to 30% trans fat.
3- The danger of exceeding the maximum daily intake of trans fats
The maximum refers to what can be consumed without being harmful to health. Do you know how much it is? Just 2 grams; or what is equal to half a donut. If you go overboard, you could get your bad cholesterol to go up and the good to go down, in addition to contributing to clogging of the arteries, increasing blood pressure and promoting obesity.
4- Other conditions derived from the consumption of trans fats
Unfortunately, a few more make up the list of diseases that we can contract if we consume an excess of trans fats: from type 2 diabetes, to lymphoma, prostate cancer, liver problems and female infertility .
5 Heart attacks
The aforementioned is not little, but it still remains to be added that heart attacks are more than likely when the diet includes excess trans fats. Animal fats, chicken skin and egg yolks are, among others, foods that have trans fats. But in order not to deviate from the subject in question, we must remember that margarine has these fats in high concentrations, as well as everything that is made with this ingredient. check source
The recommendation is to read the labels carefully and avoid the consumption of margarine in bulk or in products that contain it.
As a guide, we are giving you the following information:
- 1 teaspoon of baked goods has 4 grams, 30% trans fat
- 1 tablespoon of hard margarine has 3 grams, 27% trans fat
- 1 Industrial donut contains 5 grams, that is 27% of trans fat
- 3 Industrial cookies have 2 grams, 6% trans fat
- 1 Serving of industrial cake has 4.5 grams, 5.6% of trans fat
- 1 tablespoon of light margarine 3 grams, has 27% trans fat
- What do you think of these 5 reasons not to consume margarine ? We look forward to your comment!